In this episode of the Gym Owners Growth Zone podcast, your host Andres Escobar has a great conversation with Derek Bishop, owner of a successful CrossFit gym in South Florida. Listen in to hear how he grew his gym membership by being disciplined, staying hungry, and focusing on the personal transformation of his members.
- He played sports all through school, and once out of school he started doing CrossFit and fell in love with the community atmosphere and positive competition.
- Once he started working as a CrossFit trainer, he began to see how people transformed and self-actualized through their fitness. This inspired him to become a gym owner.
Getting Started as a Gym Owner
- Go all in. Bishop slept in the back office of the gym to make sure he would never miss teaching his morning classes.
- Focus on helping the members. Bishop’s gym has gone from 80 members to 270 members through a combination of going to competitions to create a reputation and effective digital marketing.
Guardrails That Keep Bishop On Track
- He has been inspired by mentors and leaders to have the discipline and tenacity to be competitive and never quit.
- It’s important to have internal grit, but working with a strong team has been transformational – everyone brings their own talents.
How Bishop Overcame Challenges
- He believes in not accruing debt, so his challenge was not having brand-new, cutting-edge equipment at first.
- He focused on selling what his gym DOES have – amazing trainers and unique programming. Digital marketing and word of mouth got the word out.
The Fast 5
- Who is the most influential person/people in your business journey?
- Rob Lebar, who gave him the opportunity to own a gym.
- What’s one thing you wish you had known when you began your business?
- How powerful having a digital presence is.
- What’s a book/show/video/podcast/etc. that has positively impacted you?
- Do you have a favorite online tool?
- Automated reviews, UpLaunch
- What’s one practice or habit that you believe everyone would benefit from?
- Taking 5 or 10 minutes a day to self-audit. Planning, being deliberate, and checking in on how you respond to things.
This episode of Gym Owners Growth Zone is brought to you by ReviewBiz. ReviewBiz is the BEST way to generate organic trust for your online business through amazing reviews. Listeners of the podcast can get a 2-week free trial at this link.
We’d like to hear what you hope to get from this podcast! You can email Andres at email@example.com or connect with him on Instagram under reviewbiz. Whether you love it or hate it, drop us a comment or suggestion!