In this episode of the Gym Owner’s Growth Zone podcast, your host Andres Escobar meets with seasoned fitness professional Bertha Wainer, the owner of The Perfect Circle Inc. in Miami. They talk about keeping perspective when faced with challenges and the experiences she has gained over her 40+ years of experience.
- Wainer worked many types of jobs and always exercised as her escape. Eventually, after working jobs in sales and radio, she went back to school.
- While in school, Wainer began to work with athletes and finally became a fitness director. She became close with the Miami Dolphins!
- Didn’t have a desire to own her own place, but over the years due to a lot of changing circumstances, she ended up creating her own studio.
How Wainer Stayed On Track
- The thought that “at any moment, all of this could be taken away.” Nothing is permanent, and things can change at any moment.
- She wants to leave a legacy of not quitting, bringing smiles to others, and doing things her own way.
How Wainer Overcame Challenges
- One of her challenges is that she takes things too personally and always wants to be liked. She has had to realize that “it’s not about her.”
- Dealing with negativity is another problem she has faced and she has had to decide not to let the negativity in. She also uses exercise to let it go.
Wainer’s Biggest Challenge in the Fitness Industry
- People want to lose weight quickly because that is what diets or exercise programs promise them. She wants to facilitate people doing the work for themselves.
- The industry promotes instant gratification with fad diets and weight loss plans because that is what people WANT to hear, not what they NEED to hear.
The Fast 5
- Who is the most influential person/people in your business journey?
- Gym members – she learns from them every day.
- What’s one thing you wish you had known when you began your business?
- Nothing. She learned everything along the way, and if she had known more in the beginning, she might not have been ready to hear it.
- What’s a book/show/video/podcast/etc. that has positively impacted you?
- Do you have a favorite online tool?
- Instagram, Facebook, ReviewBiz
- What’s one practice or habit that you believe everyone would benefit from?
- Chilling out. Relax, take a step back, be patient, and play through the pain.
This episode of Gym Owners Growth Zone is brought to you by ReviewBiz. ReviewBiz is the BEST way to generate organic trust for your online business through amazing reviews. Listeners of the podcast can get 2 weeks for only $1 at this link.
We’d like to hear what you hope to get from this podcast! You can email Andres at firstname.lastname@example.org or connect with him on Instagram under reviewbiz. Whether you love it or hate it, drop us a comment or suggestion!