In today’s episode of the Gym Owners Growth Zone podcast, our host Andres Escobar meets with David Ganulin to discuss how to keep your north, and other lessons that Ganulin has learned over his career.
- Ganulin worked as an English teacher in Japan for a while after graduate school before returning to the US in 2000, during the .com boom. He worked for a website as a fitness editor.
- To become a better editor, Ganulin became certified as a personal trainer. He was also exposed to kettlebells in Japan, where they were used in martial arts training. While working with kettlebells, he also learned about marketing through various different jobs.
How Ganulin Remained Focused
- According to Ganulin, too many gym owners, and business owners in general, lose sight of their original purpose. They instead get caught up in things like venture capitalism and taking in private equity.
- Ganulin focused on keeping his true north and vision on track. Instead of getting caught up in the idea of growth, he kept true to himself.
How Ganulin Overcame Challenges
- One challenge that Ganulin faced during his journey was taking on capital and equity too quickly.
- A lot of gym owners immediately rush into things like that instead of focusing on getting sales and putting in the effort and work necessary for success.
- Again, think about your true north. Don’t be afraid to take risks or take on debt, but don’t rush into it either.
The Biggest Challenge in the Fitness Industry
- The biggest challenge in the fitness industry, according to Ganulin, is education. Instead of being willing to learn new ideas and techniques, they allow themselves to remain stagnant.
- Specifically, they would think kettlebells were the same as dumbbells or barbells and had no unique benefits. Or, they would think since they were fit and their clients were fit, there was no need to learn.
The Fast 5
- Who is an influential person/people in your business journey?
· Roger Harvey, Vincet Menzo, and Pete Moore.
- What’s one thing you wish you had known when you began your business?
· More about finances and financial information.
- What’s a book/show/video/podcast/etc. that has positively impacted you?
· HALO Talks and Way of the Peaceful Warrior.
- Do you have a favorite online tool?
· Basecamp and Kartra.
- What’s one practice or habit that you believe EVERYONE would benefit from?
· Drink coffee in the morning.
This episode of Gym Owners Growth Zone is brought to you by ReviewBiz. ReviewBiz is the BEST way to generate organic trust for your online business through amazing reviews. Listeners of the podcast can get a 2 week free trial at this link.
We’d like to hear what you hope to get from this podcast! You can email Andres at firstname.lastname@example.org or connect with him on Instagram under reviewbiz. Whether you love it or hate it, drop us a comment or suggestion!