In today’s episode of the Gym Owners Growth Zone podcast, our host Andres Escobar meets with Michael Chu to discuss how Chu was able to turn his passion for fitness into a profitable gym business.
- Something that Chu hears a lot is how he presents himself as vulnerable on social media. Growing up, Chu thought he ALWAYS had to be the best. He had plenty of successes, but ultimately felt hollow, and that he wasn’t good enough.
- Because of his openness on his failures and flaws, Chu was able to succeed and be genuine. Since then, he has ran multiple 7 figure organizations.
How Chu Remained Focused
- The main thing that helped Chu remain focused was rituals and habits. Chu has a background as a martial artist and athlete, and realized the habits he had from his physical activity carried over into business.
- Habits are greater than results. Instead of focusing on the end result he wanted, Chu focused on what he could currently control, and his habits. By focusing on these habits, Chu was able to reach the goals he set.
How Chu Overcame Challenges
- One challenge that Chu faced was clients becoming angry and frustrated with him and his business.
- The main tool that Chu used in his business journey was emotional resiliency. If he allowed himself to react personally to an angry customer, then his business was going to suffer.
- Chu actually believes that the MAIN competitive advantage that successful business owners have is that emotional resiliency. They are able to control their emotions and focus on their journey.
The Biggest Challenge in the Fitness Industry
- Chu believes there are two challenges in the fitness industry. The first is people who can’t help others trying to make money online and people who can help others who don’t understand marketing or business management.
- Instead of viewing marketing and sales as something you DO to people, Chu views it as something you do FOR people. He aims to actually help his clients, instead of using them to make money.
The Fast 5
- Who is an influential person/people in your business journey?
- Tony Robbins and Mike Cassetta.
- What’s one thing you wish you had known when you began your business?
- Every product and every business needs a unique marketing and sales approach.
- What’s a book/show/video/podcast/etc. that has positively impacted you?
- Think and Grow Rich, 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership, Scaling Up, Delivering Happiness, and The Happiness Advantage.
- Do you have a favorite online tool?
- Voxer, or any other voice noting tool.
- What’s one practice or habit that you believe EVERYONE would benefit from?
- Practicing gratitude and self-talk.
This episode of Gym Owners Growth Zone is brought to you by ReviewBiz. ReviewBiz is the BEST way to generate organic trust for your online business through amazing reviews. Listeners of the podcast can get a 2 week free trial at this link.
We’d like to hear what you hope to get from this podcast! You can email Andres at email@example.com or connect with him on Instagram under reviewbiz. Whether you love it or hate it, drop us a comment or suggestion!